Here's what to make for dinner tonight. It takes 10 minutes. Take that, Rachel Ray.
(honestly. I always wear that to make roast turkey,and then I change into my St Pauli Girl outfit to make pie.)
Cook up a bunch of orzo pasta -- it looks like rice. This takes about 8 minutes. In the last few minutes of cooking, throw in a bag of frozen peas -- the little ones.
Toss the whole mess into a colander and drain it. Immediately put it back in the hot pot that you cooked it in and grate a bunch of fresh Parmesan cheese over it. Salt and pepper and you're in business.
To glam it up you can (do any of the following, alone or in combination)
- drizzle a bit of extra virgin olive oil over it.
- grate lemon zest over it
- mix it with cooked, crumbled bacon that was cooked with a sliced garlic clove
- add chopped fresh herbs (dill works, as does basil, flat leaf parsley, mint... even a few thyme leaves)
- add cooked asparagus (fresh cooked please, in season. not canned.)
- swirl the peas and pasta in a few tablespoons heavy cream, over medium heat, until the cream thickens slightly. Then add more cheese.