In which the author tells you how to run your life -- or at least how to make the most of the fun parts of it.

For instance, inside these pages you will learn how to weather a mortar attack in good spirits; how to avoid booking yourself on the Internet into a bed and breakfast full of twee quilts and dusty tchotkes; and how to plan a dinner party that will stun your guests with deliciousness and style and not destroy your will to live with the amount of work you have to do to pull it off.

These are things I know firsthand, and things people who know me often ask me about (though I usually just book them into bed and breakfasts myself -- identifying ruffled death traps is an acquired skill). I am almost always right about everything (food, style and travel-related, anyway, and often many other things) and if everyone would just do as I say, dinner would taste better, cupcakes would not be dry, your parties would be more fun (for you), and mortar attacks... well, they always suck. I can't do anything about them.



*except laundry. I can't manage my own laundry, much less yours.





Search This Blog

Tuesday, September 7, 2010

How Saroy Should Decorate Her Living Room

OK, so Saroy in Houston over on Apartment Therapy is trying to make her large TV disappear a bit in her new living room. Here it is currently:

So I’m looking for a sideboard that it can sit on, giving her storage underneath and something substantial to make the tv on that big white wall make sense.

Boy howdy, there are some slim pickins on Craigslist today.

But I found some options in the credenza category. Budget: $2000. Ha! I scoff at $2000.

This one looks nice and plain – hard to tell if it’s terrible wood from the picture. But I like the shape… sort of Shaker. And cheap! $135



http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/1938303811.html

This one is classic and lovely. I love the rich wood and just $250 .. but maybe a little bit small? However, surrounded by art, it could work.



http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/1930783292.html

I’d paint this one something fantastic …Kelly green in high gloss. OK, credenza: choice 3. Squint and imagine it in glossy green.
Or pull a color out of that wall of art I demand she puts up around the TV. Comme ca:



Since I’ve saved Saroy so much money (her budget was $2000) how about springing for this delicious nutty sofa? I love it, and it should fit, given the dimensions of that room. Everyone can sit around having cocktails, talking about the jet age and then plotting the downfall of Alexis Carrington. It spans that many decades. I super heart it.



http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/1940634951.html

The cool couches are coming fast and furious. This one is $1500 and requires cigars.





This coffee table…only $100
http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/1931381115.html



And hello, this lamp on the other side of the round leather couch. Across from the arc.
http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/1877588468.html


and an area rug: 8X 10, a little battered.. just the way I like ‘em.



http://houston.craigslist.org/fuo/1940559150.html

the whole room for I think under $2000… and that is how to run your life, Saroy. :)









































No comments:

Post a Comment